1) Upon receipt of milk please check all bottles to see if any are broken or completely defrosted (slightly defrosted bottles may be used). Call us if there are any problems or questions.
2) Place the milk in a freezer, toward the back or the bottom, where it will stay as cold as possible. Do not store milk in the door shelf. Note the expiration date on each bottle and use the milk with the soonest expiration date first.
3) Milk may be thawed:
A. In the refrigerator over several hours (large volumes may take up to 24 hours to thaw). This slow method is recommended because the milk remains cold while thawing. Place the amount of milk needed for one day in the refrigerator and note the date and time. Once defrosted, milk must be used within 48 hours.
B. For quick defrosting, hold the bottle under cool running tap water, gradually increasing the temperature to skin temperature. Or, place the bottle in a clean container of warm water. As water cools, replace it with more warm water. Gently swirl the milk around in the bottle.
C. Never defrost milk in the microwave!
NEVER HEAT HUMAN MILK WARMER THAN SKIN TEMPERATURE
4) When ready to feed, gently swirl the milk to mix the layers and pour the estimated amount needed into a clean feeding container. Cover and put any remaining cold milk back into the refrigerator immediately.
Many babies will accept a cold bottle. However, human milk is produced at body temperature which many infants will prefer. To warm milk choose one of the following heating methods:
Place the feeding container in a clean bowl of warm water or hold the bottle under warm (not hot) tap water. Never heat milk in the microwave! Gently swirl milk to mix the layers of nutrients before feeding.
5) Thawed, warmed milk should be discarded after one hour at room temperature.
6) Any milk left in the bottle/nipple after the baby has been fed should be discarded after the feeding since germs from baby's saliva will multiply in the warm milk.
Please call us if you have any questions: 817-810-0071, or toll free 1-866-810-0071. We are in the office between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Thursday and 9:00 am – 2 pm on Friday. Feel free to leave a message on our voicemail and we will return your call.